Thursday 29 January 2015

#628 Cultivating Self-Compassion

"This is a moment of suffering.
          The first phrase helps to mindfully open to the sting of emotional pain. (You can also just say "this is really hard right now" or "this hurts.")
 

Suffering is a part of life. 
          The second phrase normalizes our experience and reminds us that suffering unites all living beings and reduces the tendency to feel ashamed and isolated when things go wrong in our lives.
 

May I be kind to myself.
          The third phrase begins the process of responding with self-kindness rather than self criticism.

May I give myself the compassion I need.
 
          The final phrase reinforces the idea that you both need and deserve compassion in difficult moments."


adapted from Kristin Neff       www.self-compassion.org 
by Joel & Michelle Levey    www.wisdomatwork.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment